[News] [Rival] Europe's Ruling Against Microsoft Apparently Hurt Microsoft in Asia As Well

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Europe's Ruling Against Microsoft Apparently Hurt Microsoft in Asia As Well
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:25:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft drops SKorea anti-trust appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| US software giant Microsoft has dropped its appeal against an anti-trust
| ruling in South Korea after losing a similar case in Europe, court officials
| said Tuesday.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gQH6SOSXdSdy4c0mARXYYX-eQwlA

Ah. The chain reaction. The States and the AAI will probably take a similar
route and Microsoft will get some new shackles (on itself, not the customer).

| The high cost to business of having Windows pre-installed on PCs was
| certainly an issue for ZDNet.co.uk's sister site silicon.com's CIO Jury.
| Three-quarters of the jury backed calls for naked PCs, not only to foster
| diversity in operating systems but also to bring down costs.
|
| On the business side, several reader comments point to the fact many
| companies do not use pre-installed operating systems but rather choose to
| install a "standard image" on each machine. By starting from a naked PC,
| businesses would at least save time (due to not having to delete the existing
| installation), if not cash too, they said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39289744,00.htm?r=2

Are 'naked PCs' good for businesses?

,----[ Quote ]
| Three-quarters of silicon.com's 12-strong CIO Jury IT director panel have now
| backed that call for naked PCs, although the argument is far from
| straightforward.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-167353.html

Unbundling Microsoft Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Computers in the European Union should be sold without a bundled operating
| system, according to this submission to the European Commission. It says that
| the bundling of Microsoft Windows with computers is not in the public
| interest, and prevents meaningful competition in the operating system market.
`----

http://www.globalisation.eu/briefings/competition-policy/unbundling-microsoft-windows-200709231241/

Free-market think tank urges EU to unbundle Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The Globalisation Institute, a European think-tank run by free market
| advocates, today went on the offensive against Microsoft, calling on the EU
| to require all PCs to be sold without operating systems.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/24/globalisation_institute_windows_bundling/

French consumer group attacks PC software bundling

,----[ Quote ]
| UFC-Que Choisir legal officer Sandra Wouhling said current
| practice effectively forced ordinary consumers to buy computers
| using Microsoft operating systems whereas companies anda
| dministrations were offered a real choice.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061214:MTFH94365_2006-12-14_14-49-22_L14537403&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yf7kfu

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit