Re: [News] Another New Research Shows Sharp Linux Growth in Phones

____/ Linonut on Tuesday 16 October 2007 12:49 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
>> | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director
>> | for the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
>> | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
>> | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/59162.html
>
>    ""We have thought for many years that Linux would eventually become
>    the dominant operating system for mobile phones, so we are not at all
>    surprised to see these numbers," Piercey said. "Now that Motorola
>    says they want to move up to 60 percent of their phones to Linux, we
>    expect Linux will become mainstream on a variety of devices and in a
>    variety of form factors, not simply the mobile phone."
>
> Not bad for a "hobbyist" platform.

It was adopted by grownups. Maybe. The code is out there for non-"hobbyists" to
use (as long as they share derivative work).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Tasks: 162 total,   1 running, 161 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie