[News] Red Hat's Webbink Joins SFLC While Patent Idiocy Continues, Challenged

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat's Webbink Joins SFLC While Patent Idiocy Continues, Challenged
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:14:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Patent Sanity
By Mark H. Webbink

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, many in the software industry have expressed concern over software
| and business method patents and the patent system.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4168

Mark Webbink Joins Board of Software Freedom Law Center

,----[ Quote ]
| This is good news, that Mark Webbink has joined the board of the Software
| Freedom Law Center. Good news for the FOSS community. For him, I think the
| idea of a laid back, restful retirement is now just a dream.

Vonage agrees settlement on Sprint lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| Vonage Holdings, the internet phone company, agreed on Monday to pay $80m to
| settle a patent suit filed by Sprint Nextel, the third largest US mobile
| carrier.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21195779/

Lawyers face sanctions in Qualcomm suit

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker Qualcomm Inc. dueled Friday in federal court with its hired
| attorneys over who shoulders the blame for what a judge called "gross
| misconduct on a massive scale" at a past trial.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_hi_te/qualcomm_lawyers

Patent suit targets Red Hat and Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual property licensing firms IP Innovation and Technology Licensing
| Corporation have filed a lawsuit against Red Hat and Novell for alleged
| patent infringements in their Linux distributions.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2201116/red-hat-novell-targeted-patent

Prior Art - What's a Claim Limitation?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a 2005 case, so a lot has happened in the meantime. Oh, and if you are
| looking for prior art, the patent to look at first would be the oldest one of
| the ones IP Innovation has claimed in the Red Hat litigation. That is the one
| that I think needs to be knocked out either by prior art or by obviousness.

Lots of noise, but it's only junk patents and patent trolls. Another SCO-like
dummy perhaps.