[News] [Rival] More Threats to Microsoft's Cash Cow and Proprietary Lock-in Enabler (OOXML)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] More Threats to Microsoft's Cash Cow and Proprietary Lock-in Enabler (OOXML)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:33:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Two More Challenges To Microsoft Office: Glide And ThinkFree

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft completely redesigned Office 2007, rendering it completely
| unfamiliar to even the most experienced users, it opened a door for a number
| of alternatives -- some of them online. And while Google and Zoho are the
| names that most people are familiar with when it comes to online office
| applications (check out our review Google Vs. Zoho: Can Either Replace
| Microsoft Office?), there are other -- perhaps better -- services out there.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202800160

Some OOXML Ballot Resolution Meeting comments

| The final fate of OOXML will not be decided at the meeting, just the
| production of a disposition of comments report. After that, and this is where
| it gets funky, the original voting countries will have 30 days to decide if
| they want to change their votes from what they cast this last summer. So
| expect the supporter(s) of OOXML to go all out in March to try to get the
| many NO votes to become ABSTAINs or YESes.
|
| That said, I really expect this thing to drag out for a long, long time
| through 2008.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1907

Related:

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
| not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
| Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

OOXML does not buy its way in Italy

,----[ Quote ]
| Particularly noteworthy is the fact that among those favouring the adoption
| of the standard without reservation a large majority is made of business
| partners of the proposing entity [Microsoft], a law firm retained by the
| latter, the official certified business partners association of the proposing
| entity.
`----

http://www.piana.eu/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=1#0

Guest Commentary: The converter hoax