Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

[H]omer wrote:

>> Nigerian education selects Intel-powered Classmate PC with Mandriva Linux
>
> It's great that they're getting Linux, however this should have gone to
> the OLPC project, rather than serving Intel's greedy profiteering.

It *is* great they're getting linux.  I don't care if Intel makes a profit;
they are a business, it's what they do, or they cease to be.  If they
accidentally serve the cause of social justice along the way, so much the
better.  Interesting that the Carnegies, Rockefellers et. al. are known
today more for their charitable endeavors than their unethical (to put it
mildly) business practices during their lifetimes.  I imagine that Mr.
Gates, contra some posters here, will be added to that lengthy list in the
next 50-100 years; nobody will remember or care how that wealth was
amassed.  But I digress ...

Mandriva is also a business.  I was impressed enough with Mandriva 2008 to
replace a 3 year old Gentoo installation with it a few weeks ago. What if
some of what they learned while customizing their distribution found its
way into 2008 (much better than 2007 from all accounts, though I didn't try
it myself)?  How is this a bad thing?

They, too have a right - a requirement - to make money.  I'd like to see
them make a nice profit so they can continue to improve their product.  And
perhaps contribute some of that profit to society.

--
This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department