[News] Vyatta a Good Example of Good Open Source Citizenship, OpenOffice.org Gains Features

  • Subject: [News] Vyatta a Good Example of Good Open Source Citizenship, OpenOffice.org Gains Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:09:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vyatta does open source networking with a mean streak

,----[ Quote ]
| It's nice to see that Vyatta isn't relying on open source's alleged good name
| along as it tries to carve out a prominent place in the networking realm.
| More young companies should have the guts to kick their rivals where it
| counts.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/30/vyatta_open_source_networking/

j2 Global Offers eFax Solution for Users of Sun Microsystems' StarOffice,
StarSuite and OpenOffice.org Productivity Suites

| “The integration work we’re doing with j2 Global will enable customers to
| quickly and easily send and receive faxes while using both StarOffice and
| OpenOffice.org productivity suites,” said Mark Herring, senior director of
| Marketing, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
`----

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/30102007/34/biz-finance-news-j2-global-offers-efax-solution-users-sun-microsystems.html

Related:

Office software shootout: OpenOffice.org Writer vs. Micosoft Word, round three

,----[ Quote ]
| As in the previous two comparisons, Writer emerged as the winner in the
| majority of categories. However, in many categories, the decision is not as
| obvious as in previous comparisons. For the first time in several releases,
| Word's designers seem to be making significant changes. These changes are not
| always successful -- in fact, the reordering of menus into ribbons might be
| seen by the cynical as an attempt to hide some long-term embarrassments, such
| as the ongoing problems with master documents. But at least the effort is
| being made. Writer, by contrast, seems to be standing still, and some of its
| problems -- notably, cross-references -- are almost as long-neglected as some
| of Word's.
|
| As free software, Writer has advantages that Word is unlikely to match -- its
| philosophy, its price, its easy availability, and its frequent updates.
| However, speaking only in terms of functionality, Writer seems to be coasting
| a little on its reputation. If that continues, its superiority may be eroded,
| or dissolved altogether.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118986

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html