[News] Linux Phones are the Future, Says CEO; Linux-based 'iPhone'

  • Subject: [News] Linux Phones are the Future, Says CEO; Linux-based 'iPhone'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:25:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google phone, Motorola Razr2 will finally catapult role of open source, Linux
in mobile market

,----[ Quote ]
| “Mobile Linux is coming. It’s the big platform,” said the CEO, who predicts
| that mobile linux will follow in the same footsteps as Linux in the embedded
| market. “Linux is going to get the vast majority of this market. ”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1613

Here is comes from an expert and professional, not someone that you could
dismiss as a 'Linux zealot'.

Future Linux-based iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, one can only wonder how soon these Linux-based devices will hit the
| market. I am still hoping that these is one such device that will compete
| against the iPhone head-to-head but has an open architecture.
`----

http://www.hackitlinux.com/50226711/future_linuxbased_iphone.php

Meanwhile, Microsoft has recognised that Windows is too 'fat' (it works on
making the kernel leaner) and that mobile devices are the future. Too little,
too late. Even Intel's CEO appears to have given up, despite his fear of
the "wrath of Microsoft".

Related:

Another [Linux-based] iPhone Ripoff runs on cloned Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| It sure looks like an iPhone, but the real interesting thing about this
| Chinese rip-off is the OS it appears to be running. Check out the bottom
| right hand corner of the screen in the image above. Windows Vista?
`----

http://www.latest-mobile.com/articles/iphone/another-iphone-ripoff-runs-on-cloned-vista_3919

China's iClone

,----[ Quote ]
| The little gadget was bootleg gold, a secret treasure I'd spent months
| tracking down. The miniOne looked just like Apple's iPhone, down to the slick
| no-button interface. But it was more. It ran popular mobile software that the
| iPhone wouldn't. It worked with nearly every worldwide cellphone carrier, not
| just AT&T, and not only in the U.S. It promised to cost half as much as the
| iPhone and be available to 10 times as many consumers.
`----

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/e7e48a137b144110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

OpenMoko Neo1973 - an open source Linux based iPhone killer in the making ?

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/07/openmoko-neo1973-open-source-linux.html