Re: [News] [Rival] How Bad is Windows Vista? Read This.

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] How Bad is Windows Vista? Read This.
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:13:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> just a warning for people using AIM 6.5
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | hi mates. this problem happened to me 4 TIMES and the first two times i
> | had to clean format, the last two, i went to a restore point.
> |
> | basically when using the newest version of AIM 6.5 on my vista 32, i get
> | these problems.
> |

> | 1. Vista Displays a Red X saying that its not connected to a Network
> | even though it is.
> |
> | 2. Connection may say "Connection status: unknown. Server execution
> | failed."
> |
> | 3. WMI is corrupted
> |
> | 4. Windows Media Player won’t be able to play Mp3s
> |
> | 5. No sound can be heard from computer
> |
> | 6. Windows Security Center reports errors
> |

> | this is a known issue.
> |
> | http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...tf=0&pageid=15
> |
> | i just want to help others before they made the same mistake i did!
> `----
>
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=181355
>
> What a chain reaction. How can /upgrading/ a program do so much damage?
>
> Also see:
>
> Sure, Vista will run - just don’t use any games or apps

http://blog.strafenet.com/2007/10/26/sure-vista-will-run-just-dont-use-any-games-or-apps/

Furthermore, as I posted to Linonut, I read in a UK group that some people
are having problems with Vista not getting an IP address from their routers
or from some non-Microsoft DHCP servers? Some other poster said that
apparently M$ have configured Fista *differently from XP*, so that out of
the box it does NOT work with all routers!
Now I suppose on a small network you could allocate a static IP, but *would*
the 'average joe' (that the wintrolls are so fond of) know how to do that?

Here it explains how to get around those problems...by editing the registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

BUT note, it says that:
<quote>
Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using
Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require
that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
<unquote>

Ummmm.....weren't some of the wintrolls saying (some time ago) that the
average windoze user didn't *need* to know anything about the registry &
had *no* need to know how to edit it?

So, M$ *deliberately* cripple their latest crapware offering, presumably to
stop it working with non-M$ router & server products. THEN they say that
*they* won't take responsibility for anyone trying to get their shite to
work!

Wonderful.

--
Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5