Re: how's the weather in Greece ...

On Oct 26, 1:27 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
<ew...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Real people use a real OS like Windows (TM).
>
> > RL
>
> And what, pray tell, defines a "real OS"?
>
> Be specific.
>
> Some characteristics of both I can readily identify.
>
> [1] File management.  Both abstract data as files and
>     directories.  Windows IE further abstracts the
>     problem as documents and folders, though it's a light
>     abstraction; I've seen more comprehensive (since I
>     used to work in the CAD/CAM/CAE space).

Yeah I saw an experimental file managment system that I think was
using a balanced binary tree--constantly being balanced as files were
stored on a HD--that claimed to be 1000x faster than anything else--it
worked great until and unless your HD crashed, in which case it became
like RAID 4/5 without a backup (i.e., a mess).  I couldn't get much
technical info since the article was really about the inventor of this
scheme, who happened to be a Silicon Valley nerd charged with killing
his wife.

In any event, this is a tie between the two OSes.

> [2] Memory management.  Both provide virtual memory,
>     and can map files into virtual memory; the process
>     thinks it's reading memory with the kernel handling
>     the page faults, reading the file on its behalf.

OK, makes sense.  So a tie here.

> [3] Video.  Both handle video, and various problems
>     relating thereto such as drawing windows, digital
>     rights management, and codecs.

Tie.

> [4] Audio.  Both handle audio, MIDI, and synthesis.

Tie.

> [5] Network packet communications.  The full specification
>     of network communications could probably hold books,
>     but suffice it to say both OSes handle TCP/IP, and
>     higher-level protocols like SMTP (email), HTTP, and
>     FTP.  Windows further implements SOAP, though add-on
>     packages for Linux are also available.

Uh huh, right, something about the OSI model comes to mind here, but
it's not my field.  A tie.

> [6] Drag and drop.  Strictly speaking, this is more related
>     to the GUI than the OS, but both Linux and Windows
>     implement some variant of dragging an icon and then
>     dropping it into a window.  (In Linux's case, however,
>     the D&D is handled by a higher level: KDE or Gnome.)

Interesting--KDE or Gnome seems to be not part of the OS but some sort
of addon.  No big deal; a tie.

> [7] Text editing.  One can quibble regarding Linux but both
>     solutions provide rudimentary text editing, with access
>     to more sophisticated solutions.

Right.  Actually I think MSFT must be superior, for all the money
poured into Office, but for the sake of argument let's call it a tie.

> [8] Web browsing.  This might be a combination of [3] and
>     [5], and Linux does *not* implement Web browsing
>     as such, but most distros throw in Firefox, Galeon,
>     Epiphany, and Konqueror, all of which can be used for
>     web browsing.

OK.  I have firefox and am using Opera on this post (fewer viruses;
you can surf for porn easier too).  A tie.

> There's a few more but this post runs overlong already.

Right.

> So go ahead; sell me on Windows and its "real OS" capabilities.
> If nothing else, I need the exercise in tearing your arguments
> into ragged shreds. :-P

You left out the BIGGEST REASON for using Windoze.  It was a reason
that was litigated in court, and vetted by high-powered lawyers making
$500 an hour, so it must be true (or at least hard to refute).  And it
was made by the ENEMIES of MSFT.  You know what that reason is?

Answer:  using Windows guarantees that 85-90% (depending on who's
counting) of the computing public is using the SAME OS--this creates
"ECONOMIES OF SCALE" akin to why zebras, lemmings, flocks of birds and
yes, even PENGUINS travel in groups.  It's a HUGE reason why MSFT OS
is dominant and a GOOD reason why Linux will always remain on the
periphery, no matter how technically superior it is.  Another company
(actually several, including Amiga) comes to mind in this respect.
Think differently for once.

Got it?

Got Windows (TM)?

Going to bed now, it's Friday night and I need to rest for the
weekend--I'm going on a blind date this weekend here in "Greece"--hope
she doesn't have a hairy lip!

RL