Re: Microsoft adapts XP to work on the OLPC ..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Friday 26 October 2007 18:41 : \____

> "We're spending a nontrivial amount of money on it," Will Poole said in
> an interview on Thursday.
>
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/26/1344213

Microsoft hates this projects.

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

It wants to get poor children 'addicted' to Windows and get their money later
on.

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Have you hugged your penguin today?
Mem:    515500k total,   444668k used,    70832k free,     4044k buffers