Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Disses Google, Joins Anti-Google Lobby?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/50647-microsoft-sees-online-ads-moving-away-from-search-but-better-ask-google?source=yahoo

> They try to pull ads back to the desktop (Windows). They achieve this with
> Works and they have patents (see below) for spying on people's every move
> and spreading advertising filth all over the desktop. They have to be
> careful not to drive people away to other playforms in this way. They have
> already conceded plans to have ads in Vista's login screen.
>
> There's also Microsoft's embedment of links to its own services in the
> desktop. It adds some of them using updates (abuse of monopoly power).
>
> And then there's this:

Do you ever wonder what the overall effect would be if no adverts were
allowed on the internet? Allowed as a result of a search obviously, but
advertising banners, no email adverts unless its a response to your own
request, zero everywhere except a results page of a search?

There are of cause sites that depend on this advertising, but would we or
the Internet lose out if those sites were not there? Because there are also
sites that do not allow any form of advertising, getting their income from
a membership instead.

We survived at one time, for quite a long tme really. You had the sites you
paid membership to, as we do now, but you also had the personal sites or
special interest sites that were there for no other reason than the writer
had something to share or say.

Can we really say that the Internet is better because of the adverts, I mean
the money that comes into it from the adverts?

Squidguard keeps nearly all adverts off my home screen, where an advertising
banner should be I get a light gray box, I had it set as a picture of
myself at one time, but decided in the end either the adverts or a gray box
were more pleasant. So I tend to forget the adverts are there at all,
except at work. But squidguard is really for visual comfort, because if the
adverts were there then I still have never clicked on an advert and bought
something. I just don't want any flashing adverts when I'm browsing.

Maybe the populous should all get squidguard just to see what happens.