[News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit

  • Subject: [News] Dell Shows Signs of Vista Retraction for 64 Bit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:10:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dell pulls Vista 64 bit drivers!

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has pulled Vista 64 Bit drivers from their support site. Forums posts go
| unanswered, chats with support claim the "server must be down for
| maintenance". When a user posted their support chat logs, Dell took the time
| to remove the post. What is Dell hiding? Digg this to pressure Dell to
| respond!
`----

http://digg.com/tech_news/Dell_pulls_Vista_64_bit_drivers

Look at some excuses.

What’s holding Vista back?

,----[ Quote ]
| Repeated delays in the delivery of Vista -- which came five years after
| Windows XP first shipped in late 2001 -- moved the operating system’s release
| to a point where many users had already begun or completed hardware-refresh
| cycles.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/102407-vista-delays.html

It seems as though they cite some 'study'. Is the brainwash machine hard at
work? Last week it was the '100 reasons'...

Nice months went by and never has this excuse been used before.

Related:

Microsoft Vista 64 bit is no go in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Without an exception, they all think it's too early and the drivers
| won't be that polished for 64 bit either. AMD and Intel have CPUs which
| can support 64 operating systems but the drivers are still lame,
| unpolished and slow compared with 32 bit.

Vista 64 VS Vista 32

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista 64 has a slight advantage over the 32 Bit version speed
| wise, unfortunately due to the stringent drivers requirements
| for the 64 Bit versions, at this point
| my recommendations are to stick with the 32 Bit version of
| Vista until most of  hardware manufacturers and software
| manufactures (including Microsoft) decide to actually take
| advantage of the 64 Bit architecture!
| Even better: get serious and do some progress in this
| industry, I am sick and tired to just see marketing
| numbers and not actually progress here.
`----

http://vistaincompatible.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1171842357

Windows XP 64 is crap and things break and printers dont work and
quickbooks doesnt work the list goes on

,----[ Quote ]
| Morale (sic) of the story is - if you are using Microsoft products, stay
| away from the cutting edge - it sucks pretty bad.
`----

http://www.pintmaster.com/20061212/windows-xp-64-is-crap-and-things-break-and-printers-dont-work-and-quickbooks-doesnt-work-the-list-goes-on/
http://tinyurl.com/yguyum

Support for Microsoft Windows XP x64 Not Worth Anything

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost no one is supporting Microsoft Windows XP x64, the 64-bit
| version of Windows XP.
|
| There are no Antivirus programs that work with x64 and most
| applications won't work with x64 (unless they run the crippled
| 32-bit equivalent).
|
| Programs won't install printer drivers because, apparently, no one
| can figure out how to write a 64-bit printer driver.
|
| If Windows XP x64 has this much trouble with basic elements such
| as printer drivers, how can anyone expect the much maligned Windows
| Vista to be of any value?
|
| Frankly, my high opinion of Microsoft is quickly fading away, and
| my shop used to be a staunch Microsoft shop.
|
| Open Source alternatives are looking better and better every
| day.
`----

http://roacm.blogspot.com/

Vista users get the 64-bit blues