Re: [News] Another Win for GPLv3

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Thursday 25 October 2007 08:48 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
>> GPLv3 adoption on track, experts say
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In the end, for the FSF, the measure of the GPLv3's success will be, not
>> | how widely it used, but whether it can protect software freedom. "What
>> | does success mean?" Brown asks. "I think it's important not to set some
>> | arbitrary target about what success means. It's not a numbers game. It's
>> | about how do you get people to value the aims of GPLv3. Because if you
>> | don't value the freedoms of the GPL, then the question of GPLing isn't
>> | about freedom. It's a question of technical considerations."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/119880
>
> /quote
> From its survey of 380 developers, Evans Data concluded that "only" 6% of
> developers working on FOSS have adopted GPLv3. Even more seriously, it
> claimed that two-thirds of those surveyed did not plan to adopt GPLv3 in
> the next year, and 43% would never switch. The company said that "almost
> twice as many would be less likely to join a project that implements GPLv3
> than would be more likely to join," although without giving exact figures
> in the announcement of the results.
> /unquote
>

> You can weasel word all you want: If 43% of developers say they would
> *never* use GPL3, and twice as many would be lesss likely to join a GPL3
> project than the number who would, it simply indicates that GPL3 is a
> gigantic failure. As it rightfully should be. It is idiotic, it is wrong
> and it mingles things which should never have to do anything with a
> *licence*
>
> In short: It should be scrapped

I provided about 10 references. You selected one of them and then quote-mined
the article for one survey (among several others, some positive) which reveals
a negative picture. You know, Microsoft funded some GPLv3 surveys too and got
busted. It wasn't surprising to see the outcome of these surveys.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls