[News] OLPC Reaches Out to Charitable Roots After Intel's Abuse

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Reaches Out to Charitable Roots After Intel's Abuse
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:53:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OLPC looks for manufacturing scale, targets deep-pocketed donors

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child Foundation is now targeting deep-pocketed donors for
| its OLPC XO laptop. A new initiative launched by the group is actively
| looking for charitable foundations, not-for-profit organizations, and wealthy
| philanthropists to give the OLPC XO a boost.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071023-olpc-looks-for-manufacturing-scale-targets-deep-pocketed-donors.html

Unfair article.

Related:

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

| That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Intel Inside the Third World

,----[ Quote ]
| Negroponte has repeatedly criticized Intel for what he considers its
| hardball tactics. And yet the rivals may be ready to bury the hatchet:
| BusinessWeek has learned that Intel and OLPC executives are in talks
| regarding how they can work together.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2007/gb20070628_140912.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Q&A: Intel's Maloney discusses digital divide

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project also hopes its low-cost XO laptop
| can close the "digital divide" that exists between the developed world
| and emerging markets.
|
| Much has been made of these two efforts, which are often painted as
| rivals by the media and observers.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070611/tc_infoworld/89252

Which laptop per child?

,----[ Quote ]
| The chipmaking giant Intel is accused of damaging the non-profit scheme to
| provide cheap laptops for the developing world. It says it's helping.
|
| [...]
|
| It is not the first time that Intel has been accused of using its
| near monopoly to overpower rivals - for example, it is being
| investigated by the European Commission over allegations of
| anti-competitive behaviour. AMD, Intel's only major rival and
| the company which supplies the chips inside the XO-1, did not
| waste an opportunity to go on the offensive.
|
| "What we have here is an infinitely powerful monopoly
| metaphorically threatening to break the kneecaps of a non-profit
| if it doesn't 'get in line'," wrote AMD spokesman Michael
| Silverman in a letter published on the Barron's website.
`----

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2091248,00.html

Merrill: Intel's More Interested In Crushing AMD Than Improving Margins

,----[ Quote ]
| They think that Intel is a lot more interested in reducing AMD to
| its former status than in showing much gross margin improvementt
| his year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070309/29149_id.html?.v=1

Negreponte says Intel spurned cheap laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Nicholas Negreponte at MIT said that Intel's Craig Barrett and
| Microsoft's Bill Gate had admitted remarks they'd made about the one
| notebook per child initiative were unfortunate.
|
| Speaking to CNBC Europe, Negreponte said that from his point of view
| it was unfortunate too, because when he and his team talked to
| leaders of small countries the remarks were thrown back in their
| face.

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

,----[ Quote ]
| Though Pentium 4s can sell for up to $637, Intel's average
| cost for making a chip comes to $40, according to a report
| from analysts In-Stat.
|
| The report doesn't consider expenses related to design
| or marketing...
`----

http://news.com.com/Intels+manufacturing+cost+40+per+chip/2100-1006_3-5862922.html

Intel: Only "Open" for Business