[News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps

  • Subject: [News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:02:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Comcast to face lawsuits over BitTorrent filtering

,----[ Quote ]
| With regard to Comcast's legal liability, von Lohmann said that he could not
| comment as he had not yet had a chance to review the New York anti criminal
| impersonation laws
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9802410-46.html?tag=nefd.blgs

Finally. Comcast plays for the Big Companies amid a transition in power and
distribution:

Free Culture Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| The mission of the Free Culture movement is to build a bottom-up,
| participatory structure to society and culture, rather than a top-down,
| closed, proprietary structure. Through the democratizing power of digital
| technology and the Internet, we can place the tools of creation and
| distribution, communication and collaboration, teaching and learning into the
| hands of the common person — and with a truly active, connected, informed
| citizenry, injustice and oppression will slowly but surely vanish from the
| earth.
`----

http://ctkennedy.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/free-culture-manifesto/

Related:

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets.
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Comcast traffic blocking: even more apps, groupware clients affected

,----[ Quote ]
| Even if you accept the argument that all P2P traffic is inherently evil, and
| that Comcast has the right to disrupt it in order to put a stop to copyright
| infringement, Comcast's traffic-shaping efforts have apparently extended
| beyond the realm of P2P and into good old enterprise groupware. Kevin
| Kanarski, who works as a Lotus Notes messaging engineer, noticed some strange
| behavior with Lotus Notes when hooked up to a Comcast connection last month.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071021-comcast-traffic-blocking-even-more-apps-groupware-clients-affected.html

Comcast: We’re Delaying, Not Blocking, BitTorrent Traffic

,----[ Quote ]
| The executive declined to talk in detail about the technology, citing
| spammers or other miscreants who might exploit that knowledge.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/comcast-were-delaying-not-blocking-bittorrent-traffic/

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
`----

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/comcast_ban.html?imw=Y

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/