Re: Crusoe

____/ MartinDC on Wednesday 24 October 2007 09:40 : \____

> Hi
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my ageing Fujitsu Lifebook P2120. I
> was hoping to use if for my wife as a platform for Firefox only.,...
> so just for browsing and (G)mail and (Google) docs.
>
> But I discover it is painfully slow. A lot slower than even WIndows
> XP. :(
>
> Googling reveals that I would have to recompile the kernel (?) to get
> any kind of speed, because i386 Ubuntu doesn't run well on the Crusoe.
>
> Is there a (user-friendly) distribution (I am not a nerd) that
> supports the Crusoe chip?
>
> Rgds
>
> Martin

I can see some instructions < http://tuxmobil.org/cpu_transmeta.html > for many
platforms and discussions about performance <
http://uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.2/1764.html ,
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.3/0046.html >,

Not much coming up here:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&c2coff=1&q=Crusoe+linux+precompiled&btnG=Search

I'd probably recommend Gentoo Linux (easy to compile for maximisation of
performance on your platforms), but it's more geek-oriented than most.

I'm giving you the URLs above, but I'll admit there's no good answer in this
post. Maybe others know better...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 10:20:01 up 7 days, 19:05,  3 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.78, 2.01