[News] Compiz Gets Metisse-like Function, Productivity Discussed

  • Subject: [News] Compiz Gets Metisse-like Function, Productivity Discussed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:18:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Freely rotate windows. New plugin I found  October 22, 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| I found this great new plugin which allows you to freely rotate windows in
| any direction that you want. It is called ‘freewins’
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/freely-rotate-windows-new-plugin-i-found/#comment-1830

Productivity Cubed

,----[ Quote ]
| During a recent podcast appearance with Senors Asay, Rosenberg, and Vance,
| Canonical’s Mark Shuttleworth discussed the 3D desktop capabilities offered
| in the latest iteration of Ubuntu, Gutsy Gibbon. Given that I’ve been using
| Gutsy for a few months, and using said 3D functionality off and on I had a
| special interest in his comments. Among other things, he expressed his hope
| that the various communities that provide and consume the functionality would
| seek ways to apply the new capabilities to the task of making the user more
| productive.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/10/17/productivity-cubed/

Related:

Metisse on GNU/Linux demo

,----[ Quote ]
| A demo of Metisse, an X-based window system designed with two goals in
| mind: make it easy to design and implement innovative window
| management techniques and conform to existing standards and be
| robust and efficient enough to be used on a daily basis, making
| it a suitable platform for the evaluation of the proposed techniques
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxsUKX6xXyE

UI innovation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8GzKwBdsg

Metisse -- you thought you knew what 3D was?

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article we are going to investigate the features offered
| by this promising project and see if Metisse can compete with
| the popular desktops in terms of ergonomics and ease of use.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/metisse-you-thought-you-knew-what-3d-was/

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AT89IOci5FA&NR

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxsUKX6xXyE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8GzKwBdsg

howto enhance your workflow with beryl

,----[ Quote ]
| Problem is, I spread my applications across all 4 desktops, so
| that things feel uncluttered when I'm working on an application.
| However, when you want to keep an eye on several applications at
| a time, it's impossible - except, if you have beryl. What I do
| is set one of the corners of my desktop to activate the scale
| plugin to show all windows from all desktops (see here for a
| more detailed explanation). I also make sure that it shows
| minimised windows.
`----

http://www.liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=101

Related:

Another Beryl 0.1.3 Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6BiKnLzck&NR

Cool New Beryl Feature: Ring Window Switcher

http://justanothertechblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/cool-new-beryl-feature-ring-window.html

Beryl's new 3D animations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEDtRV1fHoU

Cool new Beryl Feature: Window Thumbnails

http://justanothertechblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/cool-new-beryl-feature-window.html

Beryl Group tab plugin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eotwBwXquqw&NR

Older stuff (also Compiz):