Re: ZDNet (UK) editor and site director dumps Vista for Ubuntu

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 22 October 2007 15:53 : \____

> On Oct 22, 6:04 am, "[H]omer" <s...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Why I've moved from Vista to Ubuntu 7.10, by Matt Loney
>>
>> .----
>> | I've been using Windows since it was battling for desktop supremacy
>> | with GEM in the early 90s. In the mid 90s I spent several years
>> | producing newspapers on Apple Macs. Since the late 90s I've dabbled
>> | with Linux, but there have always been compelling reasons to return
>> | to, or stick with, Windows. No more, for two reasons: Vista, and
>> | Ubuntu 7.10 (ala Gutsy Gibbon).
>> `----
>>
>> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006214o-2000331758b,...
>>
>> Oh dear.
>>
>> Are there any tech any tech journos left running Vista, I wonder?

They are dropping like flies recently. Mass defection at ITWire (Aussie).

[Journalist:] The "ooww" stops now - goodbye Windows, hello Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I know there are lots of Linux distros out there but I chose Ubuntu because
| I'm a Linux newbie. If you know your way around Windows then it seems to be
| very easy to pick up.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14856/1086/

[Journalist:] Facing the full horror of Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, Transit has been using Vista Business full-time for a fortnight.
| And so far, we've found nothing that works better than in Windows XP,
| dozens of things that are annoyingly different without being a
| functional improvement, and several things that work at best
| intermittently and at worst not at all. On the whole, we wish
| we'd never moved.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12147/1101/1/0/

[Journalist:] Bye bye Windows I don't need you anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| I have some free time over Easter so maybe the holidays will be the
| beginning of a new and enduring relationship, as well as the
| finalization of a long overdue divorce.

[Journalist?:] Why I killed Vista for XP

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://smallbusiness.smh.com.au/starting/finance/why-i-killed-vista-for-xp-897771398.html

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/10/21/wye-wyg-windows-vista-vs-mac-os-x-leopard/#more-723
> (you expected Vista that would run Windows apps, and OS/X that would
> run them, slowly; you got Vista that runs them, slowly, and OS/X that
> runs them...also you got Ubuntu...)

GBP1300, eh? Tesco sells Linux boxes for GBP130. I'd have ten, Sir. Build
meself [sic] a home cluster.

Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie