Re: [News] Custom Linux PCs Push Energy Efficiency to the Limit

> ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 21 October 2007 09:07 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 20 October 2007 13:47 : \____

>>> I was thinking about recharging. How much does the Eeek! consume?
>>>

>> I don't know, to be honest, but I know that the XO is in the 2-5 Watts
>> bracket, which is very good indeed.  30 of those in a classroom is about
>> equivalent to one traditional PC and monitor!
>
> Wow. That's lower consumption than I imagined. SForget about cranks and
> batteries. Just set up a small gym next to the classroom.

It's impressive, but actually, take a step back - consider what the
power consumption of a typical smartphone or Nokia web tablet is?  They
must be of this range of power consumption in order to get reasonable
battery life.

One reason that using solar panels to power them is that if you're only
looking for a few watts, then even relatively small solar panels can
deliver it.

The real challenge to me is about trunking network connectivity into
villages, which means higher-powered radio transmission.  You can get
around this to a great extent by using carefully designed antennae which
focus all the radiated power into as small a cone as possible, since
trunking sites don't move around, this does work well, but even then, a
lot of places could be very remote.

I suspect a combination of battery, solar panel and baby-windmill could
do enough to keep a repeater station working, although if the battery
capacity is not enough, then it will fail overnight (unless it's windy!).

Quite what you do on cloudy days with no wind, I don't know!

> Linux Super Computer - Powered By Bicycles
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| SiCortex, the first company to engineer a Linux cluster from the silicon up,
>| showed of the energy efficiency that can be achieved in high performance
>| computing.
> `----
>
> http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/09/15/linux-super-computer-powered-by-bicycles/

Ahh, yes I do - you get everyone on a bike!