In comp.os.linux.advocacy, linux.freak.detector@xxxxxxxxx
<linux.freak.detector@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:45:41 -0700
<1192923941.834003.326810@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Anyone else receiving attacks from these 2 sites?
> I visted both recently and shortly afterwards I started getting
> attacks from both.
> I suspect it has to do with my using a Windows browser because I also
> visted the sites on another network using  a Linux browser and got no
> such DDoS attacks.
>
> I have filed formal complaints against both host sites.

OK, dumb questions time.

[1] What sort of attacks?  Various worms, malware, and
    other such interesting scriptbits can attack on
    virtually any open port nowadays, and certainly
    unsecured systems are an invitation to disaster,
    just waiting to happen.

    The Internet Storm Center (isc.sans.org) suggests
    that the top rising port is #1130 -- associated
    with the Noknok trojan.  Other ports are also noted:

    1130  - Noknok
    62165 - no service known
    1231  - menandmice-lpm
    13117 - no service known
    44762 - no service known
    62400 - no service known
    18270 - no service known
    5902  - vnc-2
    13721 - bpbrm Protocol (VERITAS NetBackup)
    1070  - GMRUpdateSERV

    And this is under threat level Green.  I'd hate for
    it to go to Yellow, Orange, or Red.

    A search for Noknok dredged up Fono as an alternate
    name.  It appears to be a standard trojan, setting
    itself up as a server on the victim's system; the
    actual client is a black hat.  It is somewhat
    difficult to remove according to

    http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=1503

    Since it is a trojan it is possible Roy's site
    infected you -- though I for one would put the
    probability as being ridiculously low.

[2] www.schestowitz.com resolves to 84.18.207.65;
    www.boycottnovell.com to 72.29.75.151.  The only
    attack I'd notice through my logs would be port 22;
    my NAT blocks everything else.  Granted, I've not
    tried to visit those two websites from home lately.

    The last such attack is from 81.25.28.146 (which shall
    dutifully go into my hosts.deny).  This resolves
    into somewhere in Tartarnet.cz, a strange little
    website with a three-headed mythological guardian.
    I don't read Czech as a rule.  This appears to be a
    compromised Linux website.  (That's right--Linux.

      Server: Apache
      Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT

    This particular website is pretty seriously botched,
    whoever's in charge down there.  If you're reading
    this group and can understand English, whoever you are:

        FIX YOUR WEBSITE! :-P )

[3] It most likely does have to do with you using Internet
    Explorer.  You'll want a good disinfectant.

[4] I would be curious as to where you filed those formal
    complaints.  Presumably the best place to file would
    be on the uplink -- if you can find it.

[5] Boycottnovell.com is showing on its homepage a small
    amount of Javascript, apparently for implementation
    of Google ads.  I'm not horribly impressed with the
    styling (as implemented in HTML; visually it's not
    too bad).  I don't see much of a threat here.

    Schestowitz.com contains an embedded style sheet --
    not the best construct in my book but does save a
    URL fetch -- and some javascript "thanks to Kevin
    Werbach", whose primary purpose appears to play
    "swap the image depending on time of day".  The page
    validation (an interesting feature) indicates a couple
    of minor problems, both having to do with '/>'.  Not
    much threat there, either.

[6] Since you are crossposting this from and to known troll
    territory, I'm setting followups to restrict to COLA
    exclusively.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because vaporware only goes so far.