Re: [News] Microsoft Spins Blue Screen of Death, Lives on Foundation of Custard

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ian Hilliard
<nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:43:15 +0200
<dadb7$46e45ae3$544a537b$15092@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Why Does Windows Crash?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft?s analysis of crash root causes indicates: 70% caused by
>> | third-party driver code, 15% caused by unknown (memory is too corrupted
>> | to tell), 10% caused by hardware issues and 5% caused by Microsoft code.
>> `----
>>
>> http://digg.com/microsoft/Why_Does_Windows_Crash
>>

> This is of course very interesting:
> 1) The professional programmers that write drivers for Windows cause 70% of
> failures. According to Microsoft, Linux is written by amateurs. Yet these
> same amateurs are able to write drivers, in many cases without access to
> the hardware specification, which are rock solid.
>
> 2) How is it that the memory is getting so screwed up that no one can tell
> what went wrong? Could it be that the memory management in Windows is
> broken?
>
> 3) Microsoft forgot to mention the malware group or maybe these are just
> considered drivers :-)

4) I was also given to understand that the Windows driver
model has mutated 4 times in the last 10 years.  I don't
think Linux's driver model has really changed all that much
from 1.2 (or 1.0) to the current 2.6, over the same period.

(There has been some mutation; a VPN driver module in 2.4
for Cisco no longer builds in 2.6.  Annoying.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);