[News] Rumours: NVidia Might Follow AMD's Move (Open Source)

  • Subject: [News] Rumours: NVidia Might Follow AMD's Move (Open Source)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 04:49:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
NVIDIA's Calm Before The Storm

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been 80 days since the last NVIDIA Linux display driver was released.
|
| [...]
|
| This week is already very busy with the X Developer Summit going on where AMD
| will be releasing their new ATI R500/600 open-source driver as well as the
| specifications and it's very likely that the new NVIDIA 100.xx.xx series
| driver will meet the world in the coming days.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA0NA

NVIDIA: Got Specifications?

,----[ Quote ]
| This past week AMD raised the Linux graphics bar by not only announcing their
| new fglrx graphics driver, which delivers Radeon HD 2000 support, immense
| performance improvements, and AIGLX, but it was accompanied by an
| announcement that they will be delivering specifications to the X.Org
| development community. These two announcements came after intense work
| internally at AMD and over a long period of time, but literally overnight it
| changed the minds of many Linux users on how they judge this company with its
| once notorious binary blob. AMD has really set a precedence for showing that
| a semiconductor company once criticized to no end with their proprietary
| software can update their views to assist and embrace the open-source Linux
| community while remaining competitive as a company in a triopoloy market.
| They have also thus reaffirmed that Linux is a viable desktop operating
| system. But the ball has now landed in NVIDIA's court. NVIDIA can either play
| ball by pushing forward with a similar effort, and then all of the big three
| GPU manufacturers would be cradling an open-source strategy, or they may find
| themselves in trouble down the road.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=831&num=1

Exciting times ahead, because not only has Linux performance been brought to
parity (even better than Windows), but it's an open source (free) future.
Intel and AMD might be enough (2 out of 3), so NVidia must respond.

Related:

AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether you are using a Radeon X300 purchased a few years ago or the Radeon
| X1950PRO, the 8.41 driver is noticeably faster. How much faster? In many
| cases it is about 50% faster while in some configurations it may go as high
| as 90% or more. In fact, in some benchmarks the Mobility Radeon X300 was over
| 10x faster!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=821&num=1

AMD Delivers Significant Graphics Performance and Compatibility Enhancements
for Consumer Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070905/20070904006432.html?.v=1