Re: Which Linux mags?

____/ Kier on Sunday 09 September 2007 12:04 : \____

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:29:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> It still feels odd and even surprising that some people read information in
>> paper form. I've been living paperless for years and I enjoy search,
>> indexing,
>
> I read a lot of historical books, lately a lot about fairly recent British
> history (the 40s,50s and 60s). Just finished books by Peter Henessey.
> Stephan Dorril and A.N. Wilson. The Net's a long way from competing
> with that kind of reading.

True, but it's gradually improving. Consider book scanning  projects, for
example. At least one of them is free/open access/source.

Be aware that the British Library and National Archives are now controlled by
former/present Microsoft employees (with two 'hats'), so all that historical
data is stored in nasty proprietary formats that lead to obsolescence. Maybe
one should also get back to storing images as MAX files. I have some of these
on my hard-drive. Useless garbage. No standards = no memories. The same goes
for access. No wonder some people trust nothing unless it's printed
(physically) on paper. They learned from wrong experiences. Like the paranoia
that leads saving a file every minutes because of possible crashes...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=