Re: [News] Mono is Still Coverging with the Windows API

Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <46e30a23$0$16362$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Geico Caveman <spammers-begone@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> .NET is proprietary technology, and patented (no matter what ECMA says).
>> Implementing this technology in Linux is similar to using non-free patent
>> encumbered MP3 formats without paying a license to Alcatel (or whoever
>> holds MP3 patents now). That, under the deplorable patent laws of US,
>> etc., is illegal.
>> All this while a perfectly usable, and GPL released Java exists. Maybe
>
> Java is covered by patents.  Oops.

Java is released under the GPL. A license that makes certain that none of
those patents can ever be maliciously used against developers using GPL'ed
versions of Java in their work (as long as the derived work complies with
the GPL) or users of those products. Not by Sun, not by anyone else.

If Microsoft has released .NET under GPL, the news has passed me by, but
otherwise my observation stands.

And I believe that that "Oops" should figure prominently in your weekend
report to your bosses somewhere in the Pacific northwest. Especially the
one possessed of an inexplicable propensity to throw chairs.