[News] Junk Patent Slaughterhouse Ahead, Despite Bush's Opposition

  • Subject: [News] Junk Patent Slaughterhouse Ahead, Despite Bush's Opposition
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 13:35:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
White House opposes tech-backed patent bill

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bush administration argues that such an approach "would introduce new
| complications and risks reducing incentives to innovate."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9773753-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Nonetheless:

House OKs revamp of patent system

,----[ Quote ]
| A ban on "tax planning" patents: Since a 1998 court ruling that allowed
| patents on business methods, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has awarded
| some 50 such patents that relate to tax strategies, including how to minimize
| or defer one's tax liability. A narrow provision in this bill attempts to
| prohibit such inventions from gaining protection.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6206816.html

Good step in the right direction.

Press release:

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/11764/house-representatives-passes-patent-reform-act-2007

Nokia braces for Trade Commission patent probe

,----[ Quote ]
| "For the proper functioning of the standardisation process and continued
| industry innovation, Nokia believes companies should refrain from seeking
| injunctions for standards essential patents," said a Nokia statement,
| according to Reuters.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/07/nokia_interdigital_patent_probe/

Related:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03020.pdf

House May Vote on Patent Reform Friday

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've spent three Congresses on this," said Steve Elmendorf, a lobbyist for
| the Coalition for Patent Fairness, a group of technology companies, such as
| Microsoft, Apple Inc. and Cisco Systems Inc., that favor the legislation.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070904/patent_reform_house.html?.v=1

Getting Back to Patent Application Bug Spraying...

,----[ Quote ]