Re: [News] Powerful Open Source GPU is a Reality (More Details Revealed)

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 September 2007 22:24 : \____

> <snip>
>> NVidia will need to follow suit. If not, then all a Linux user needs is this
>> one decent GPU (a series of them) with an open source driver. This is a
>> *huge* milestone for Free software. Open BIOS would be nice too and AMD
>> could start a trend.
>
> There is an open bios called "linuxbios", I believe.

Yes, I know, but they are still trying to have OEMs use it more extensively.
Here are some recent articles about it:

Google Sponsors the LinuxBIOS project

,----[ Quote ]
| The LinuxBIOS project aims to take down the last barrier in Open
| Source systems by providing a free firmware (BIOS) implementation.
`----

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=31343

LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxBIOS is intended to provide a philosophically free replacement
| for proprietary firmware in chipsets.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/30/199208&from=rss

LinuxBIOS with X11 server, completely in Flash ROM

,----[ Quote ]
| All of this in a normal BIOS chip (2 MB), without any hard drive
| connected (who needs hard drives when you can fit everything in the
| BIOS just fine)...
`----

http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/linuxbios-with-x11-server-completely-in-flash-rom

First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4

,----[ Quote ]
| The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
| supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
| Yinghai Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month.
`----

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.2/2347.html

LinuxBIOS: The Forgotten Hero

,----[ Quote ]