[News] Linux on the Plane and on the Bus

  • Subject: [News] Linux on the Plane and on the Bus
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:27:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virgin Flier

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest issue I found was that they haven’t figured out how to merge all
| of the applications together. For example, the video games are just standard
| Linux games (including the Linux port of Doom) so they don’t implement input
| hooks for the fancy Red controls.
`----

http://seanbyrnes.com/blog/?p=320

John has already mentioned this one:

Microsoft bus riders to get wi-fi via Linux routers

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/121329.asp

Related:

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What the press statement didn't mention is that Aruba mobility
| controllers run the Linux operating system which Microsoft has
| aggressively targeted as being inferior to Windows as part of
| its "Get the Facts" marketing campaign.
|
| [...]
|
| Pandey's appraisal of Aruba's technology is in stark contrast to
| Microsoft's "Get the Facts" rhetoric which places Windows as a more secure,
| and higher-performing choice over Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
|
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
|
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1616039231;fp;2;fpid;1

Akamai Earns More

,----[ Quote ]