[News] Monastry Runs GNU/Linux on Solid-state PC

  • Subject: [News] Monastry Runs GNU/Linux on Solid-state PC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 03:02:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Solid State Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Note how my option to install Ubuntu to the USB flash drive is not the
| fastest. Slax performed faster, even with the gzip de-compression. This would
| probably be due to its extremely minimal philosophy, plus it was running on a
| slightly faster USB flash drive. But running Ubuntu, not compressed (as
| described above), is the still best longer-term choice (albeit a bit slower)!
| This is because with Ubuntu you get all the convenience and "upgradability"
| that you won't ever get from Slax 5.1.8. Slax 5.1.8 is about to “go stale”,
| and you wouldn't want Slax 6 in this situation due to the LZMA compression.
`----

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1&p=65

Related:

The Year Of The Small Distro

,----[ Quote ]
| 2007 may well be the year of the small distro.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/the_year_of_the_small_distro.html

Performance Duel: Koolu 500 MHz vs. Pentium III 666 MHz

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1&p=61