[News] Sun Has ZFS-based Storage Products, But Gets Stung by Patent Troll

  • Subject: [News] Sun Has ZFS-based Storage Products, But Gets Stung by Patent Troll
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:14:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun's Schwartz: High-Performance Computing Will Be Pervasive

,----[ Quote ]
| Schwartz said that Sun will continue to ramp up development efforts in its
| storage sector, centering on the Thumper X4500 server—a 48-drive unit with a
| capacity of 24TB per box.
|
| "Thumper utilizes the ZFS," Schwartz said, "and we'll be taking the message
| out to the open-source community more and more as time goes on. In fact,
| we've seen the open-source community grow and accelerate its activity. That's
| where the future of development lies."

NetApp/Sun lawsuit seen as open-source test case

,----[ Quote ]
| NetApp contends that Sun's ZFS file system technology, which was donated to
| the OpenSolaris.org open-source community earlier this year, infringes on
| seven NetApp patents.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9034562

Related:

ZFS on Linux: It's alive

,----[ Quote ]
| The project is working, with several users running and even booting from a
| ZFS volume. Correia has not undertaken any performance tuning yet, and
| one sysadmin, Chris Samuel, has posted benchmarks that clock only about
| half the speed of another Linux filesystem, XFS.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/061807-zfs-on-linux.html#6285522977769458795

Linux: ZFS, Licenses and Patents

,----[ Quote ]