[News] The March Towards Free Software and Linux (with Some Solid Proof)

  • Subject: [News] The March Towards Free Software and Linux (with Some Solid Proof)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 23:53:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Asian open source continues marching ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Some examples:
|
|    1. Filipino hospitals are looking closely at homegrown, open source
|       software as a way to cut costs and get more done.
|    2. A public-private consortium has opened an open source lab in Malaysia,
|       aimed at stimulating the growth of new start-ups.
|    3. Under-employed Indians are being told to create Joomla and Drupal
|       templates as a quick way to make money.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1384

Open Source and Microsoft Free - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| I have now been Microsoft free at work for almost five months. We had our
| Linux pilot kickoff meeting yesterday and are preparing to pilot Linux, Open
| Office, Evolution email client (not replacing Exchange), and Firefox as the
| standard Open Source image.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/open-source-and-microsoft-free-part-2-18795

Going Microsoft free, like Mike

,----[ Quote ]
| This type of experiment is going on in lots of places. It takes skill and
| computing knowledge to pull it off. But as Mike notes it also takes skill and
| computing knowledge to run a Windows shop.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1387

Related (yesterday):

Open source lab cuts technology start-ups’ costs

,----[ Quote ]
| Malaysia-based IT services company Basis Bay and government agency,
| Multimedia Development Corporation have opened the MSC Malaysia-Basis Bay
| Open Source Lab in Cyberjaya, Malaysia.
`----

http://computerworld.com.my/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=6176&pubid=4&issueid=121

Open source software eyed for use in more health centers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view_article.php?article_id=86621