Re: [News] [SOT] Copyright Laws Gone Wild, Person Denied Access to Own Work

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
<mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:44:21 +0100
<leo2r4-q0h.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> OUP wants me to pay for my own Open Access article
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The journal wishes to charge me 48 USD to:
>>|
>>|     * USE MY OWN ARTICLE
>>|     * ON WHICH I HOLD COPYRIGHT
>>|     * FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (TEACHING)
>>|
>>| The journal is therefore
>>|
>>|     * SELLING MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
>>|     * WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
>>|     * AGAINST THE TERMS OF THE LICENCE (NO COMMERCIAL USE)
>>|
>>| I am lost for words...
>> `----
>>
>> http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=529
>>
>> Some people *do* get it. Information/knowledge, just like software
>> shouldn't necessarily become a commodity.
>>

> I thought that academia was supposed to work through sharing of
> information, not through locking it up.

The terrorists might do something with it that might lead
to dancing.  Can't be too careful nowadays.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random dance steps here
Linux.  Because it's not the desktop that's
important, it's the ability to DO something
with it.