Re: [News] OOXML Apprently Rejected by ISO!

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 September 2007 10:15 : \____

>> ____/ alt on Tuesday 04 September 2007 22:15 : \____

>>> They've rejected fast tracking the *ahem* standard. It's still on, but now
>>> it has to go through normal channels with a regular debate.
>>
>> Yes, as well as about 10,000 comments to address (by fixing it all). Now
>> that we know who was bribed and which people in Microsoft resorted to
>> corruption, we can finally turn our attention to them (instead of working
>> hard towards the Sept. 2nd deadline).
>>

> Well, with 10,000 comments to consider, and a 6,000 page "standard"
> which needs proper analysis, how many years would this take?  I'd be
> surprised if you could do it well in a decade.  The standard is just
> *too big*.
>
> Even huge standards like H.248 are only about 10 documents of about 30
> pages, so it's a 300 page read, in small print, on both sides of the
> page...  of course, to make sense of it, you need to read a lot of other
> standards too,  but that will also be true of OOXML.
>
> It should never have been born.

You hitting the wrong note here, I think. It's not the length. It's the quality
(lack thereof). It's also deficient re-implementation and reinvention of the
wheel (as in, "those who don't understand UNIX are bound to mimic/reinvent it
poorly"). OOXML makes no reuse of existing standard, so it's inflated and you
are less likely to find components (code) that are reusable. Only Microsoft
has it. 20+ years of development. Stephane, who is an OOXML 'expert', has just
left a very alarming comment (moments ago):

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/09/05/silverlight-mono-novell/#comment-1949

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=