[News] Microsoft MVP Explains Why Microsoft Shouldn't be Allowed Near Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft MVP Explains Why Microsoft Shouldn't be Allowed Near Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:01:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Should Microsoft Really Bundle Open Source Software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft doesn’t provide a GridView, tells us developers that’s all we’ll
| ever need for displaying data, and then closes the door on other control
| vendors who might want to provide developers with an alternative grid
| control. Hell no.
|
| Instead, they make it easy for control vendors to provide their own controls
| and have a first-class integrated experience (with design time support
| etc...) within the Visual Studio IDE because they recognize they don’t have
| the bandwidth to build everything top shelf. This sort of forward thinking
| should apply anytime they plan to ship a crappy stopgap implementation.
`----

http://haacked.com/archive/2007/09/04/should-microsoft-really-bundle-open-source-software.aspx

Here they are stepping on a the toes of a 'partner':

Microsoft, Novell, square off on configuration tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Novell may be working together on some areas of technology, but
| the two firms will soon be going head-to-head in the market for improved
| enterprise configuration management.
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/Daily-News/91e7656e-7f35-4028-9679-fd3b824cd87b.html

Novell grins while Microsoft backstabs.

Related:

My resolve to treat Microsoft like any another license submitter is being
sorely tested.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensource.org/node/192