[News] Linux Helps Small Businesses, Sustains Financial Model

  • Subject: [News] Linux Helps Small Businesses, Sustains Financial Model
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:40:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux and Open Source: How It Affects Small Organizations

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and other open source applications are finding increasing acceptance in
| the global marketplace in small and large companies alike. Statistics on the
| growth of a few open source programs—like Apache, a web server; Linux, an
| operating system; FreeBSD, an operating system; and PostgreSQL, a database
| server—show this to be true. In this article, we’ll consider why open source
| is growing so fast, and what it means to you, the leader of a small company.
`----

http://businessedge.michcpa.org/issue/article.aspx?i=v4n8&a=287&s=MI

My Favorite Open Source Business Models

,----[ Quote ]
| Without a doubt, my all-time favorite open source business model has to be
| selling pre-configured devices or services using the open source products.
| It's simple: you're effectively selling something sustainable and tangible
| for the end user, while allowing the community to use the open source project
| as they see fit.
`----

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200709/ij_09_04_07a.html

Related and fairly recent:

An interview with Matt Asay

,----[ Quote ]
| Glyn Moody talked to him about why he became a GPL believer and how to create
| a billion-dollar revenue open source company.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/240877/

Making money The Redhat way

,----[ Quote ]