Re: [News] [Rival] After Months with Vista, Linux is Missed

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious
<ACDC@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:28:42 -0400
<46dddc31$0$31219$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> Whatever an "OS" is anyway.
>
> An achronistic concept that disappeared a decade or more ago.  The modern
> term is "platform" and it simply means the type of Microsoft Windows that is
> used with the computing device at hand.  Hundreds of millions of buyers of
> such equipment have become familiar with and fully expect that a familiar
> form of Windows will be supplied with any new piece of equipment purchased.
>
> A million or so wannabe dweebs purring over the notions of freedom and
> openness and trying to convince themselves that they have any relevance
> notwithstanding, Windows is what makes the world turn.
>
> Fussing over such nonsense makes you look silly and having a penguin for a
> mascot doesn't help any.

An interesting notion.  So Windows is the only valid
platform?  Even though it's proprietary, does not hew to
standards, and occasionally decides to burp?

And of course Linux, since it is in fact an OS (and a
very reliable one at that), is outdated, outmoded, and
should be discarded in terms of a modern platform, such
as Microsoft Windows Vista, Ultimate Edition (only $399
at one's local store, or $259 when upgrading from XP)?

Not to mention the hardware should be upgraded as well.

Naturally, we will of course upgrade to Vista, with all
deliberate speed...

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.