Re: [News] Mono is Still Coverging with the Windows API

____/ Geico Caveman on Tuesday 04 September 2007 05:07 : \____

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/08/31/mono-1-2-5-released-supports-ironpython-and-dlr

> Only a moron would bet his company's life on Mono. Its very likely patent
> encumbered (that is probably the idea behind Microsoft
> tolerating/encouraging its use anyways - compromise the legal standing of
> systems while making it indispensable, and then milk them for whatever it
> is worth - old, familiar modus operandi).
>
> I am surprised that you would be promoting its use in *any* way, Roy.
>

>> Related:
>>
>> On GNOME's 10th anniversary, de Icaza and Waugh look back, ahead
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Though de Icaza is no longer directly involved with GNOME development,
>> | he says his work on Mono, and that of the rest of his team at Novell,
>> | "pretty much revolves around the goals from 10 years ago." He says he
>> | keeps in touch
>> |                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> | with GNOME developers, but "mostly with those who are using the APIs and
>> | tools that we are creating, like the Banshee Media Music Player, the
>> | F-Spot manager, and the Bater collaboration tool."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/118772
>
> Anything with Miguel de Icaza's handprints on it should be avoided like
> plague. The man is not much more than a stool pigeon.

No, I'm not promoting Mono at all. I am one of its most vocal opposers. This
led to confrontations with Jeff Waugh and Miguel, but at least more people are
beginning to understand what's going on. Groklaw doesn't want to be part of
this flamewars, but the attorneys there know that Mono means trouble.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
Cpu(s): 27.4%us,  4.8%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.9%id,  4.4%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st