[News] Visual Reviews of Mandriva 2008 Beta 2, SimplyMEDPIA 7.0 Beta 3, Zenwalk 4.8 Beta

  • Subject: [News] Visual Reviews of Mandriva 2008 Beta 2, SimplyMEDPIA 7.0 Beta 3, Zenwalk 4.8 Beta
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:30:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ReviewLinux.Com: First Look at SimplyMEPIS 7.0 Beta 3

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS has never been my first choice of a Linux OS. I was surprised at
| how familiar looking it really was. Check out my short screenshot tour as
| well as my short flash video of SimplyMEPIS 7.0 Beta 3
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php?m=show&id=6882

ReviewLinux.Com - First Look at Mandriva 2008 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Our first look at the new Mandriva 2008. Only in beta form at the moment we
| thought a short screenshot tour would be nice... Enjoy...
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php?m=show&id=6874

Screenshots of Zenwalk Linux 4.8 Beta.

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like XFCE is being used more often than expected. Just take a look
| at the result of the2007  Desktop Linux Survey. In this article I will show
| you lots of interesting screenshots of
|
| Zenwalk 4.8 Beta.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/190/1/

Related:

Releases : Zenwalk Live 4.6 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important change in 4.6 at the system level is the new tool chain,
| including Binutils-2.17.50, GCC 4.1 and Glibc-2.5, which hve been fully
| implemented. All libraries and applications have been compiled with this
| modern tool chain and benefit from the latest evolutions in GNU software and
| resulting binary optimizations.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=59

Releases : Zenwalk 4.6 is out

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce that Zenwalk 4.6 (code name
| "Red Pill") has been released.
`----

http://www.zenwalk.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=53

Zenwalk 4.2 -- There isn't anything mini about this distro anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall: I am honestly pleased to give this package a 4 Pennie review.
| The simplicity of the system, the functionality and way that Zenwalk
| keeps everything basic. There is no fluff to the system, there is no
| monster 4 Gig download, no extra packages that you will never, ever
| need. The team in France really has a gem. It does need a little
| polish on the installation, especially on the networking, which does
| require some insite, which hopefully we helped you understand. Now,
| it is hard to capture everything you need, so please look to the
| forums or here if you need additional support there. Other than that,
| the installation is pretty easy to follow given that it is a text
| based installer for a slackware system.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/13/zenwalk-42--there-isnt-anything-mini-about-this-distro-anymore.aspx

Zenwalk 4.6 Beta 1 Screenshot Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Main changes in this release are: kernel 2.6.21, with KVM support;
| a new toolchain, featuring a new glibc and GCC so that most
| packages have been rebuilt; Xfce 4.4.1 with new plugins and
| system notifications (for example, udev now send user notifications
| about hotplugged devices); Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0.0.0;
| many improvements in the base system and admin tools. You will
| notice that Zenwalk installer has been simplified a lot, making
| it one of the simplest setups available in the GNU/Linux world...
`----

http://osdir.com/Article9829.phtml

Zenwalk Live 4.4.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Making up Zenwalk Live 4.4.1 is the new ZenPanel utility for
| system administration, a complete development suite, and a
| variety of new games such as Mega Mario, Frozen Bubble, and
| LBreakout. Zenwalk Live is a LiveCD distribution that ships
| with Xfce 4 so that you may try out Zenwalk without even
| touching your hard drive.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=691&num=1

Mandriva Linux 2008 Beta 2 (aka Galilee)

,----[ Quote ]
| This beta is available as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64
| architectures, on three CDs or one DVD, with a traditional installer. Future
| betas will available in a range of other editions, including the One live /
| install format with proprietary drivers and firmware.
`----

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/Development/Beta2

Interview with Adam Williamson, Mandriva Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The most common misconception about Mandriva is that it's 'not free'.
| This takes several forms - the belief that you have to pay or join the
| Club to get updates, or that the freely available versions of Mandriva
| are crippled demos. In truth, we have one of the longest and best
| records of freedom.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070618#feature

Mandriva has come to Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva, one of the world?s top software developers, has announced
| opening its official department in Russia ? Mandriva.ru.
`----

http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/4052/

Low-cost student laptops to run Mandriva Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva, the France-based Linux distributor, will have a
| version of its Mandriva Linux 2007 pre-installed on Intel's
| new low-end laptop for students, the Classmate PC.

Mandriva Beijing: La Révolution Culturelle? (RC3) mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a good "final RC", with enough things to ponder over them. And some
| deep thinking will be needed indeed when choosing a distro (I need to
| choose at least one distro for the laptop and one main distro for the
| desktop, both with good Qt3/Qt4/Python development tools), knowing that
| this month is also supposed to bring us:
|
|     * openSUSE 10.3 (from the Microsoft alliance)
|     * Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04
|     * Debian Etch (or maybe not)
|     * Fedora 7
|     * possibly CentOS 5 and Scientific Linux 5.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2748&from=rss

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring also provides the newest versions of the
| Compiz and Beryl 3D-accelerated desktops.
|
| Together, Metisse, Compiz and Beryl - with the convenient
| Mandriva configuration tool - make Mandriva Linux the most
| up-to-date distribution as far as the graphical environment is
| concerned. Mandriva's integration work renders Metisse available
| for all, for an enhanced user experience. Metisse is not a
| 3D-accelerated desktop but a Human-Computer Interface (HCI)
| technology that revolutionizes the user experience.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/mar/23/mandriva_linux_2007_spring_released

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring Beta2 "Wei" (aka build 4452)

,----[ Quote ]
| "Wei" just landed on a mirror near you. This is the beta2 snapshot
| of the upcoming Mandriva 2007 Spring release.
`----

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007.1/Development/Beta2

Mandriva open office in Lagos

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva West Africa to start operations in February 2007 to offer
| the Mandriva Linux operating system and open source applications
| and solutions to individuals, educational institutions, publica
| nd private organizations, ISVs and OEMs all over West Africa.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/feb/22/mandriva_open_office_in_lagos

The Perfect Desktop - Part 2: Mandriva Free 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of Microsoft's new Windows operating system (Vista),
| more and more people are looking for alternatives to Windows for
| various reasons. This tutorial is the second in a series of
| articles where I will show people who are willing to switch to
| Linux how they can set up a Linux desktop (Mandriva Free 2007
| in this article) that fully replaces their Windows desktop,
| i.e. that has all software that people need to do the things
| they do on their Windows desktops. The advantages are clear:
| you get a secure system without DRM restrictions, and the
| best thing is: all software comes free of charge.
`----

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_mandriva_free2007

Mandriva launch Corporate Desktop 4.0 beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva has announced the launch of the beta program of Corporate
| Desktop 4.0, the brand new version of its enterprise-dedicated work
| station, which it punts as ergonomic, secure, comprehensive, easy to
| use and easy to administer.
|
| [...]
|
| On the ergonomic front, Corporate Desktop 4.0 has a completely new
| design for the desktop with integration of the latest 3D technlologies(
| Xgl, AIGLX and Metisse).
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1399

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been very impressed by the entire SimplyMEPIS 6.5 operating
| system. It was probably the best install experience I have ever had,
|  offers great response, and has an enjoyable interface. Personally,
| I feel that this has been my best KDE experience thus far, even with
| my previous use of PCLinuxOS 2007. You may not hear too much about
| MEPIS when it comes to Linux news sites, but there is definitely a
| good reason why there are so many users.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/06/15/simplemepis-65-a-review/

A first look at SimplyMEPIS 6.5

,----[ Quote ]
| The final of SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now out. You can either buy a
| subscription to the distribution from the SimplyMEPIS store or
| download a copy from one of the MEPIS mirrors.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6383341657.html

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Release Candidate 2 [screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| The second release candidate for SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now
| available. SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC2 replaces QtParted with
| GParted, improvements to the MEPIS Xconfig assistant,
| and a fair amount of other changes beyond the original
| release candidate. SimplyMEPIS is another Ubuntu-based
| distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=667&num=1

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 adds Beryl 0.2.0 Final and Installer Translations

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 has been uploaded to the MEPIS subscribers
| pool and propagated to the public mirrors.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/13211

Review: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is definitely the coolest distribution I have
| reviewed so far. The eye candy is very sweet indeed, but more over
| it is put together well and simply works. I also like the fact
| it uses KDE instead of GNOME, but mainly for personal preference.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-simplymepis-65-rc1/

MEPIS founder clarifies MEPIS/Ubuntu relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Woodford [MEPIS]: Again it's a matter of what you mean by those words.
| Mark [Shuttleworth] and I talked it over before I switched to Ubuntu.
| He's clear that MEPIS is an independent distro. And yet, it is fair
| to say on the Ubuntu site that MEPIS is a derivative of Ubuntu,
| from the point of view that we use the Ubuntu packages. And we
| use them by choice, because they meet our needs and they're
| the best available. That reference at the Ubuntu site says
| that we endorse Ubuntu, and we do.

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
|      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| than Vista.
| ^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

SaxenOS and SimplyMEPIS - bumps in the middle of the road

,----[ Quote ]
| SaxenOS 2.0 Beta 1
|
| [...]
|
| I've always liked STX and can say I believe I like SaxenOS even better.
| It's still wonderful for older hardware and now with 2.0 it is easier
| to install and use. It's always fast, stable, and fairly complete. I
| feel like the version bump perhaps should have come at the beginning
| of this development cycle due to the massive interface changes, so
| it is definitely justified now.
|
| [...]
|
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Beta 5
|
| [...]
|
| Despite KDE still being version 3.5.3 and much of the same software
| is offered, the updated look and feel as well as the X server and
| promise of Beryl does seem to justify a version bump mid-cycle
| for SimplyMEPIS.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070219#review

Simply Mepis 6.0-4 Beta 4 -- A gift from the MEPIS gods 64 Bit that actually
works

,----[ Quote ]
| To quote myself, something I never do, "I will be back for the 64 bit
| when available however, as I am still waiting on a distro that will
| uncork my boat anchor." Well, guess what folks? I am happy to say
| that MEPIS is now my default system and I am happy to be running 64
| bit on my not so much of a boat anchor laptop.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/29/simply-mepis-604-beta.aspx

TestDriving SimplyMepis 6.0-4 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]