[News] Installing Software and Printers Far Easier and Faster in Linux Than in Windows

  • Subject: [News] Installing Software and Printers Far Easier and Faster in Linux Than in Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:01:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Finding and installing programs in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Number of steps to intall a program.
| Windows: 5+ (find program,order program,insert media,run setup,click
|          next,reboot)
| Linux: 1 (apt-get/yum install program_name)
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/finding-and-installing-programs-in-linux-18749

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
|
| [...]
|
| Linux - 2 Minutes
|
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.
`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

Installing/setting up a laser printer on this box (KDE 3.5) was just a matter
of minutes when I did it 3 weeks ago. No CD or downloads needed. Took just a
few minutes. All point and click. No howtos needed.

Related:

More Fun With Printing

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on
| Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/more_fun_with_printing.html

The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, I'm confused. I installed Ubuntu on a spare machine
| because my printer started printing all wrong. I just
| completed sharing it with CUPS and Samba and what happens?
| It still prints all wrong from Windows!
|
| [...]
|
| Just so you know, I did go back and install the drivers that
| came on the CD-ROM, same problem. I then downloaded the most
| recent drivers from Epson, same problem.
`----

http://hmtk.com/blog/index.php?/archives/82-The-Epson-Stylus-C88-Printer,-works-in-Linux-but-not-in-Windows.html

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Linux Hardware Support