[News] The Free/Open Source Advantage in AV Software and Storage

  • Subject: [News] The Free/Open Source Advantage in AV Software and Storage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 03:18:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source a natural for anti-virus software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Antivirus is a classic example of where open source should thrive. The key to
| doing so, however, is lowering the barriers to contribution of virus alerts
| and definitions (and fixes), not raising them.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9770242-16.html

Baby steps for open source storage

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to contribute to the project, download the Aperi development
| environment, which also includes the Eclipse IDE and Aperi source code.
| Needless to say, I wouldn’t tackle it if your programming skills are rusty.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/31/35OPstorinside-aperi-open-source-storage-management_1.html

Related:

Cleversafe takes a slice out of storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Cleversafe, for the moment a noncommercial open source project,
| began as Gladwin's personal quest to "store his stuff for at
| least 50 years." He wasn't satisfied with his options: "Today
| you can get very secure, very reliable storage, but it's very
| expensive." Looking for an alternative, he ultimately began
| work on the Cleversafe Dispersed Storage Project.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070521/tc_infoworld/88663

Greenplum Announces First Appliance Deal, New CEO & Funding

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Cook joined officially took over at the helm last November. He came on
| board from San Francisco-based Linux startup Penguin Computing Inc.
|
| [...]
|
| Greenplum also closed a $15m round of financing led by Sierra Ventures,
| which was one of the original investors in data warehousing firm Teradata
| before it was acquired by NCR Corp.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=86A772A9-8A7B-45B8-8433-86D0B7788399

Open-Source Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Christopher Gladwin is known for an unusual open-source plan:
| Keep the world's data everywhere, in a blur of little chunks.
| Soon he may be known for making money, in significantly
| larger sizes.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/business/businesstech/2007/01/25/opensource-cleversafe-storage-tech-enter-cz_qh_0125cleversafe.html
http://tinyurl.com/37kckz

Seagate's DAVE Adds Smartphone Storage Wirelessly

,----[ Quote ]
| Smartphone users will soon be able to add gigabytes of storage using
| DAVE, a portable hard drive about the size of a credit card. Dave
| uses Bluetooth and WiFi technology to connect wirelessly to
| handsets. The DAVE storage platform is open source and will
| enable third-party software developers to create new
| applications for the mobile phone utilizing the hard drive.

Is Antivirus Ready for Open Source?

,----[ Beginning of article ]

`----

http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs091906-story01.html