[News] Linus Torvalds and Others on a Linux Kernel with DRM

  • Subject: [News] Linus Torvalds and Others on a Linux Kernel with DRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 05:02:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux + DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been doing some research on Linux and DRM since my last article about
| Linux as a Media player received to much traffic. A lot of discussion was
| sirred up in regard to Linux and DRM, so I decided to see what the experts on
| the subject had to say.
`----

http://www.pointsboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110#p277

Related:

Bird Song: A requiem for DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| DRMs are often designed by ambitious, well-funded consortia, with top-notch
| engineers from every corner of the industry. They spend millions. They take
| years. They are defeated in days, for pennies, by hobbyists.
|
| - Cory Doctorow, Guardian Unlimited
|   Tuesday, July 31, 2007
|
| Sure, it’s probably too early to dance on the grave of Digital Rights
| Management (DRM), but we can certainly continue pounding nails in its coffin
| after Wal-Mart drove a stake through its heart this week.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/08/24/birdsong-a-requiem-for-drm/

Paramount: DRM may not (at least right now) please consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| "Interoperability (presents) an impediment to digital distribution," he said
| during remarks at the Progress and Freedom Foundation's Aspen Summit. "I'm
| pretty confident that in the end solutions will be found. It's just a
| question of how much heat and pressure we feel before we see the light."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9764237-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

World's largest music retailer ditches DRM, not censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM isn't yet dead in the music business, but it has a nasty, hacking cough.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070821-worlds-largest-music-retailer-ditches-drm-not-censorship.html

Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

,----[ Quote ]