[News] [Rival] RIAA, Just Like Microsoft, Wants to Turn Other Parties into Personal Slaves

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] RIAA, Just Like Microsoft, Wants to Turn Other Parties into Personal Slaves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 04:37:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Posted days ago:

Dear Microsoft: "We're not your slaves"
http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9769595-16.html

It's not just the partners. Merely every 'box booter', virus 'expert', and
Windows developer is simply carrying water for Microsoft and making up for
their mistakes and mess.

Here comes the RIAA:

Watchdog presses ISPs to clamp down on illegal net use

,----[ Quote ]
| It has the support of the music industry, represented by the Australia
| Recording Industry Association (ARIA), and Music Industry Piracy
| Investigations (MIPI).
|
| [...]
|
| But in a letter to AFACT, ARIA and MIPI, the IIA said the proposal was
| problematic and unnecessary.
|
| "The board is concerned that ISPs are not (and should not be placed) in a
| position to adjudicate on whether or not a person is infringing copyright or
| to suspend or terminate a service based on an allegation of infringement," it
| wrote.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/watchdog-presses-isps-to-clamp-down-on-illegal-net-use/2007/08/30/1188067260345.html

Technical sabotage by the MPAA? One source seems to say they intercepted
E-mails.

Court rules against TorrentSpy in hacking case

,----[ Quote ]
| But while a U.S. District judge found that the Motion Picture Association of
| America had not violated the federal Wiretap Act, as TorrentSpy's attorneys
| had argued, the MPAA acknowledged in court records that it paid $15,000 to
| obtain private e-mails belonging to TorrentSpy executives.
`----

http://news.com.com/CourtrulesagainstTorrentSpyinhackingcase/2100-1030_3-6204948.html

Their bulling has got them in a lot of trouble.

RIAA faces serious piracy lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| A lawsuit recently filed against the Recording Industry Assn. of America
| could ultimately force the org to drop or dramatically change the way it uses
| its principal weapon in the fight against online piracy, according to experts
| and observers.
|
| The case -- filed in Oregon and asserting claims under the Computer Fraud and
| Abuse Act and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act --
| details the RIAA's alleged use of "illegal and flawed" methods when
| investigating people for downloading or swapping copyrighted songs without
| paying for them.
`----

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117971146.html?categoryId=16&cs=1

Related:

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

Congress says P2P networks harm national security

http://news.com.com/Congress+P2P+networks+harm+national+security/2100-1029_3-6198585.html?tag=nefd.lede

File sharing could threaten personal and national security

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent government report says that the old adage "buyer beware" now
| even applies to those who are not technically buying anything at all.
| Despite the reputation of "free" downloads, much of the illegal file
| sharing done on the internet comes at a steep price: personal and
| national security.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6424471&partner=eb&spacedesc=news

Web downloads and P2P traffic consume 75% of the Internet. Much of that's
still illegal.

,----[ Quote ]
| "LimeWire, Edonkey, Ares, BitTorrent--we want to commercialize them
| all," Kozel says. "I hope we can get rich and make a lot of money."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/0326/082.html?partner=yahoomag

Royalty fee 'to damage net radio'

,----[ Quote ]
| Hundreds of US net radio stations face potential closure from Monday when
| they will be expected to comply with a new royalties ruling for playing
| music.
|
| Smaller stations face a payment increase of 1,200% while larger station could
| owe up to 300% more, lobby group SaveNetRadio has said.

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]