Re: [News] Is Windows "a Cancer" to GPL? Microsoft Subjected to GPL?

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 01 September 2007 05:14 : \____

>> GPL Violations On Windows Go Unnoticed?
>
> Hmm, looks like the supposed "Slopware" that certain Trolls whine about
> has infiltrated the Windows software tree more extensively than we might
> have expected. Pity those Windows "developers" either don't care or
> understand how the GPL is supposed to work. They'll get it eventually
> though, one way or another. Meanwhile every GPL component running under
> Windows is one less proprietary component infecting the world.
> Ultimately this is good news, provided these Windows "developers" can be
> suitably re-educated.

There are new tools coming all the time. They scan binaries for violation.
Crooks will be caught and action will be taken, sooner or later (remember
VMWare and Skype?). Even public embarrassment (or the equivalent of public
spanking) is enough to damage a company's reputation.

GPLed software is there to be used, but only provided that you obey the new (or
good ol') paradigm and trend, which is to develop software you can study,
modify, and redistribute.

Real men show 'zer codez.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
 08:20:01 up 25 days, 11:13,  5 users,  load average: 2.74, 1.52, 1.38