[News] [Rival] Apple Gets Antitrust and Linux Treatment

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Gets Antitrust and Linux Treatment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:15:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple defends iTunes in Berlin, Brussels

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission charged in April that Vivendi's Universal Music Group, Sony
| BMG Music Entertainment, EMI Group and Warner Music Group were forcing Apple
| to curtail cross-border access to iTunes.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6208959.html

Slackintosh reborn - An Interview with Adrian Ulrich

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackintosh was a little-known PPC port of Slackware Linux which after some
| years of development was put on indefinite hiatus.
`----

http://www.storiediapple.it/slackintosh-reborn-an-interview-with-adrian-ulrich.html

Related

After Big Win in Microsoft Case, EU Sets Sights on iTunes

,----[ Quote ]
| An EU spokesman also blamed the record labels, two of which are owned by
| European companies, for this situation. He told the WSJ in April that
| regulators considered Apple to be more a victim than a culprit. “This is an
| arrangement imposed on Apple by the record companies,” the spokesman
| said. “The main focus of our attention is the major record companies.”
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/17/after-big-win-in-microsoft-case-eu-sets-sights-on-itunes/?mod=yahoo_hs
http://tinyurl.com/2jj57a

Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link

,----[ Quote ]
| As if its options woes weren't trouble enough, Apple Computer Inc.
| said Friday it is facing several federal lawsuits, including one
| alleging the company created an illegal monopoly by tying iTunes
| music and video sales to its market-leading iPod portable players.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/ap_on_hi_te/apple_lawsuits

Mozilla + iTunes + Rhapsody = Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord calls Songbird a "mashup between a Web browser and a media player,
| creating a new class of app I call a Web player." Songbird will support all
| open file formats but it will also support codecs (define) and Digital Rights
| Management (DRM) in Windows media, VLC and Quicktime. That means it can play
| the iTunes AAC file format, XviD, Ogg Vorbis and WMV files.

iTunes in Linux - Not any time soon.

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Apple computer released Safari for windows, proving
| that the company does have the desire to expand their enterprise
| and myriad programs to other platforms. However, they so far have
| neglected the Linux user. Will apple release iTunes for Linux?
| Not anytime soon. So what solutions does the open source
| community have?
`----

http://pimpyourlinux.com/linux-feature-review/itunes-in-linux-not-any-time-soon/

One Day I Will Switch from Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone is amazing, iTV shows great promise, and just about every piece of
| software they make is wonderful. And in spite of all that, one day I see
| myself switching to Linux.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/in-the-future-i/

Apple: You’re too dumb to make your own technology decisions

,----[ Quote ]
| I felt exactly the same way when I read Cory Doctorow’s blog post on how
| Apple’s new iPods have been re-engineered to block synching with Linux. Apple
| knows better than you. God forbid you should have choice and be able to make
| some technology decisions for yourself. Of course, Apple is engaged in all
| sorts of unspeakable acts of walled-garden erection: “OS X may runneth on the
| Intel platform but thou shalt not runneth OS X on anything but our Intel
| platform.” I’d be running OS X in a heartbeat if only I could run it on a
| notebook with a pointing stick (I hate touch pads).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=780

Wanted: An Open API and format for buying DRM-free music - now that iTunes
and EMI will sell it.

,----[ Quote ]
| What I'd really like is an API for Rhythmbox, the Open Source software
| I use to manage and play music on my desktop, to buy songs from the
| iTunes store and elsewhere. Maybe that API would even work for Rockbox,
| the Open Source player software.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/4/2/17159

Jobs unlikely to push for lift of video DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple CEO Steve Jobs may be pushing for music labels to lift
| copyright protection on digital music but he doesn't appear so
| eager to do the same for video content, despite his position as
| the largest shareholder in Walt Disney Co.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1651457572&rid=-50

Amarok on Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Been a while since I posted, but I thought I'd give you guys a
| glimpse of a (very ugly) Amarok running on a Mac. I used the
| excellent packages from Ranger Rick to get KDE4 libs up and running
| (you can do it from svn but many of the tools required are most
| easily gotten from Fink, which can cause conflicts if you
| have kde3 stuff from it).
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/

Democracy Player: A Superior Multimedia Alternative to iTunes on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users have found their options limited, as iTunes is to this very
| day still not available on the Linux platform natively. Apple is foolish
| for ignoring this, but we believe that we have located a better
| alternative in the video podcast realm than what iTunes was offering
| anyway - Democracy Player.
|
| [...]
|
| Speaking for myself, iTunes is a great resource for music, but not so
| much for podcasts. DTV has a superior method of content handling, and
| overall, it's much simpler to use. DTV is available on all operating
| systems while iTunes opts to play favorites. The only component missing
| is that of independent music labels offering their music. Then again,
| this would not really be an IPTV tool if they were offering music, noww
| ould it.
|
| Still, it would be interesting to see additional music videos done
| exclusively by independents. It may be irrelevant, but then again, they
| used to say the same thing about the concept of Internet Television. And
| yet, it's here today on all three platforms...
`----

http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7564

[Tim Bray Leaves Mac for Linux]

,----[ Quote ]