Re: [Rival] Harsh reaction in US to Microsoft EU antitrust ruling

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wednesday 19 September 2007 08:48 : \____

> On Sep 18, 11:54 pm, spi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently
>> scribble:
>>
>> >     "Rather than helping consumers, (the decision)
>> >     may have the unfortunate consequence of harming
>> >     consumers by chilling innovation and discouraging
>> >     competition," the US official said in a strong rebuke
>> >     of the EU action.
>>
>> Chilling innovation...?
>> MICROSOFT?
>> Oh puuuuhleeze...
>> A good way to boost innovation would be to remove microsoft from the face of
>> this dimension, completely. Then maybe the computer industry could begin to
>> recover from the 20 years of stagnation caused by them.
>
> Google is suppressing the responses from DFS, Homer and Martha
> Adams...very irritating.
>
> Anyway, unlike Roy, I don't quite see the US Governmet support as
> coming primarily from global ambitions or efforts to improve the trade
> balance.  Rather I believe it comes from Microsoft lobbying, the
> general means by which corporations influence legislation and bribe
> politicians.  Of course this is the Bush administration, which is by
> instinct friendly to large corporations, but the extra grease on the
> wheels doesn't hurt, either.  But I wouldn't be surprised at a broadly
> similar stance from a Democratic administration, although one can hope
> for improvement after the next election.   There are also stories
> about the connections between Gates's father's law firm and officials
> in the current administration, both personal and financial...and
> Bush's appointments in the past have reflected a favortism toward
> Microsoft people.
>
> Microsoft propaganda is frequently Orwellian (war is peace, good is
> bad, truth is lies, etc), but this one about how forcing a monopoly to
> refrain from using its monopoly advantages to stifle competition is
> bad for competition, well, it's gotta take the cake.

I wasn't suggesting there was a global ambition that stems from the government
itself. Rather, it's the embodiment of Microsoft which, as you say, plays a
role in the government's decisions. In a solid system, this shouldn't be
permitted or even possible. Watch OOXML and the ISO. Same broken system, and
not just in the United States.

Systems have weaknesses. Learning from the mistakes and taking action is what's
most important.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Have you hugged your penguin today?
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie