[News] Linux Will Thrive Even Without Microsoft Watching

  • Subject: [News] Linux Will Thrive Even Without Microsoft Watching
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:51:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Promoting Linux by Silencing Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
|    1.  Linux runs on older hardware. So you don't need the latest hardware to
|    run it. It also performs better.
|    2. Linux is Virus free. (at least for now and the foreseeable future)
|    3. Linux is Spyware Free (ditto)
|    4. Linux is Free. As in no cost and free as in freedom. You are free of
|    overbearing corporate entities telling you what you can and can't do with
|    your copy. You're welcome to modify it, share it, etc.
|    5. Linux gives you freedom of choice.
|    6. Several different distributions have made Linux very easy to install
|    and use. So even a computer novice can get up and running on Linux in a
|    short time.
|    7. Linux supports more hardware than any other OS.
|    8. Linux conforms to industry standards. There's nothing proprietary in
|    Linux. There are some distros though which include proprietary formats and
|    programs for cross compatibility.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=302

Why Has Microsoft Office Evaded European, US Justice?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past decade, government sanctions and monitoring efforts on both
| sides of the pond have helped level the playing field for competitors,
| allowing Linux, for example, to gain significant market share in the server
| operating system software market and Firefox to achieve respectable share of
| the web browser market against Microsoft’s once ubiquitous Internet Explorer.
|
| How did Office get left out of the equation?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1434

Related:

Microsoft managed to buy the vote of Sweden in ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
| When a friend of mine arrived, it was clear that it all was stuffing going on
| from Microsoft side. All Microsoft partners in Sweden was at that meeting.
| People against OOXML got an offer to leave the meeting without paying the fee
| (not becoming a member). Everyone left, including IBM that thought it all was
| a farse.
`----

http://stupid.domain.name/node/382

Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

,----[ Quote ]