Re: [News] KOffice Gains Very Unique Features

"[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:d6k2s4-pke.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> KDE Commit Digest - Issue 76
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Marijn Kruisselbrink introduces his successful Summer of Code project,
>> Music
>> | Notation Support for KOffice...
>> `----
>>
>> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-09-16/
>>
>> Some screenshots available.

Can you say "pile on the bloatware?"  So this guy added a bunch of code to
KOffice so that musical scores can be embedded into a document. Why? -
Because he needed it. So now the 99% of KOffice users who don't need to
embed musical scores into documents have to live with this bloatware he
added.

> Fascinating. I knew about tools like Lilypond, etc., but direct
> integration into a word processor is highly innovative indeed.

Really? What's so innovative about it?  You do realize that MS-Word can
directly embed any type of music/art/graph/spreadsheet/CAD/etc that adheres
to the OLE specification for embedding. Unlike this "hack" - they don't have
to special case anything.

> I've seen music notation /fonts/ before, but nothing like this.
"Living is easy with eyes closed...."