[News] [Rival] Big Media Lowers Cost of CDs, No Longer Calls Everyone "Pirate" (Unless They Have Music Players)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Big Media Lowers Cost of CDs, No Longer Calls Everyone "Pirate" (Unless They Have Music Players)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:55:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Canadian Recording Industry Suddenly Against Private Copying Levy It Fought So
Hard For

,----[ Quote ]
| At times, this private copying levy can be an astounding 70% of the cost of
| blank CDs. Once mp3 players (specifically the iPod) started to become
| popular, the recording industry fought to have the private levy attached to
| those players as well.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070916/213136.shtml

Related:

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
| far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
| same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
| he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
| with Microsoft.

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html