[News] iPhone Leads the Way to Linux-based Phones

  • Subject: [News] iPhone Leads the Way to Linux-based Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:46:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
iPhone Provides a Peek at the Mobile Future, Study Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Because many of these devices would be small and have limited battery power,
| Schatt says, many of them would save power by being based on Linux instead of
| Windows. The most well-known Linux-based platform is currently being
| developed by Intel, which debuted its plans to enter the nascent MID market
| in April.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137228-c,futuretechnology/article.html

Related:

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss

Intel chief sings iPhone's praises

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's iPhone is forcing a new wave of mobile device innovation
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| and validates the superiority of Unix-like systems on mobile devices
|                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| over Windows, claimed Intel chief executive Paul Otellini.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.asp?file=/2007/3/6/20070306014323&sec=International

Google Phone (Linux):

More Google Phone Rumors: Hello Linux Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Last but not least, there was initially only one prototype, but Google and
| HTC have since gone on to place the mobile OS on "between 3 and 5 devices,
| all of which rock the QWERTY."
`----

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C13296/

Linux-Powered Smartphone Use on the Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux smartphone technology will see its fastest growth, with annual growth
| rates as high as 75 percent, in the 2007 to 2012 period.
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=21243

Why Google is Building a Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| On the Internet Yahoo and Microsoft are playing second fiddles to Google when
| it comes to search and ad revenue. But when it comes to mobile phones Yahoo
| and Microsoft are way ahead of Google.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005352.html

Five Facts About Google Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Initially there was one prototype, but over past few months Google has the
| mobile OS running on 3-to-5 devices, most of them likely made by HTC, a
| mobile phone maker, and all have Qwerty apps. The model that folks have seen
| is very similar to the T-Mobile Dash. Around 3GSM, there were rumors that
| Google, Orange and HTC were working together on mobile devices.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/09/03/google-phone-facts/

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Forget iPhone, the Gphone is here

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the nearly $13.5 billion search engine major, is believed to be a
| fortnight away from the worldwide launch of its much-awaited Google Phone
| (Gphone) and has started talks with service providers in India for an
| exclusive launch on one of their networks.
`----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/aug/24gphone.htm

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nN02242073