[News] [Rival] [Humour] Microsoft and General Motors E-mail Exchange (Car Analogy)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] [Humour] Microsoft and General Motors E-mail Exchange (Car Analogy)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:20:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GM vs Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way
| computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo
| (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto
| industry and stated, “If GM had kept up with technology like the computer
| industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the
| gallon.”

| stating: “If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be
| driving cars with the following characteristics...
`----

http://www.johny.org/2007/09/13/gm-vs-microsoft/

Related:

If Novell and Microsoft Were in the Car Production and Sales Business...

,----[ Quote ]

|    Look at it this way for a moment:
|
|         * "If I, as an end-user, bought a car from Ford, that does
|           indeed contain technology infringing some patent owned by
|           DaimlerChrysler--would there by any likelihood that Ford would
|           sue me, the end-user?
|
|         * "However, if I, as an end-user, buy a SUSE Linux Enterprise Serv-
|           er, that may contain (well, it doesn't, and never will, as
|           Novell strongly reassures me) software patented technology owned
|           by Microsoft--would there be any likelihood that Microsoft would
|           sue me, the end-user?
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2528

Vista equals Edsel?

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine that you make cars. You are the biggest automaker in the world and
| you more or less own the market, particularly the corporate fleet segment.
| Because almost everyone has one of your cars, if you want them to keep paying
| you money you have to come up with a better car.
|
| [...]
|
| This is the situation I believe Microsoft is finding itself in with respect
| to Windows Vista: if there’s one thing that stands out from what I’ve been
| reading and from the letters you send me, Vista isn’t cutting it.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/columnists/2007/082307backspin.html?fsrc=rss-linux-applications

Microsoft dreams

,----[ Quote ]