[News] Does Microsoft's Intrusion into People's PCs Drive Them to GNU/Linux?

  • Subject: [News] Does Microsoft's Intrusion into People's PCs Drive Them to GNU/Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:14:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows, Please Leave Me Alone

,----[ Quote ]
| So I have a simple solution to this, I went over to my laptop running linux
| (Kubuntu) watched my video, and left XP behind. When Gusty Gibbon comes out
| XP might be left permanently out of my life, along with any other windows
| distribution. Don't think that I hate XP or think its a bad operating system,
| but this kind of stuff I have no control over and don't feel like I should
| spend my time on it.

Windows is spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has crossed the line. They have been disliked by many techies, for
| arrogance, incompetence and more. But, this wasn't a universal opinion and
| reasonable people could have disagreed. Now however, the question of
| Microsoft's corporate character has left the realm of opinion and landed
| firmly in fact.
| They are bad guys.

The Long-Term Impact of User Account Control

For the first time this year (and only two days ago) I borrowed a colleague's
PC for a few minutes, in order to burn a CD (my PCs don't have any CD burning
facilities). It ran Windows. In just a matter of _minutes_ I was hit by _two_
obtrusive popups -- one was genuine 'advantage' and one was a 'security' nag
from IE7. It's the first time I see this 'hands on' (as opposed to videos or
screenshots). Oh, and Windows was still as ugly as a sin.

Learning to Live with UAC

,----[ Quote ]
| Like most veteran Windows users, I balked when I first encountered the User
| Account Control (UAC) mechanism in the latter BETAs of Vista. The constant
| interruption of nearly every system or maintenance related task was
| unbearable. Finally, after one particularly frustrating bout of "move the
| file/yes I really want to move the file/please let me move the file/sorry, do
| dice buddy," I did what many early Vista users did: I turned UAC off.
| Hint: For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, the option to disable
| UAC is buried under the User Accounts sub-section of the Control Panel.
| Ah, the bliss of no UAC! I could now do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted!
| It was just like Windows XP, but with a cooler UI!

Researcher Reveals 2-Step Vista UAC Hack

,----[ Quote ]
| A Web application developer has uncovered a two-step process
| (PDF) for exploiting Windows Vista's User Account Control,
| essentially by having a Trojan piggyback on what could be al
| egitimate download.

Vista User Account Control and the Linux Superuser

,----[ Quote ]
| So, when I was researching the way to determine the shadow storage
| size on Windows Vista for my February 23rd entry, I wasn't too surprised
| when I got an error message about needing to elevate my privilege after
| I tried to run vssadmin from a standard command shell. What a Linux
| system would have done right there would be to ask me for the
| administrator password.

Vista's UAC needs an overhaul. Ideas?

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems like everyone, other than possibly Microsoft's Vista team
| itself, seems to believe that the User Account Control (UAC) in
| Vista already needs an overhaul.

Windows Vista: Secure Or Just Frustrating?

,----[ Quote ]

,----[Quote ]
| "Oh, excuse me, is this supposed be a joke? We all remember all those
| Microsoft's statements about how serious Microsoft is about security in
| Vista and how all those new cool security features like UAC or Protected
| Mode IE will improve the world's security. And now we hear what?

Vista's Faux Security

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of the new Apple ad, the security guard finally asks the
| hapless PC: "You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"
| Unfortunately, after conditioning the world to click "allow," all
| Microsoft will have accomplished is to pass the buck to the hapless
| PC user, trying to make the user responsible for anything bad that
| happens because they ultimately chose to allow it.
| While that may allow Microsoft?s security engineers to sleep at night,
| the rest of us won't rest as easy until Vista's holes are plugged
| with something more substantial than a dialog box.

Vista's UAC security is hopeless, says Symantec

,----[ Quote ]
| A key security feature of Windows Vista, User Account Control (UAC) is
| still nearly unusable, Symantec has said.
| At a press presentation last week, Symantec vice president of
| engineering Rowan Trollope said Symantec's customers had found the
| feature so "chatty", that it was a burden on users, potentially
| creating new help-desk calls.

Windows Vista set to overwhelm helpdesks

,----[ Quote ]
| The Windows Vista features that will most benefit end users are
| likely to cause a flood of calls to enterprise IT help desks, it
| was claimed today.
| SupportSoft predicted that one of the main areas in which
| end-users are likely to experience problems will be dealing
| with Vista's security features.

Windows Forces you to use UAC to Add a Printer

,----[ Quote ]
| Another bug that got past the extensive RTM testing process? Nope.
| It's a bug that came into existence during the finalization process.
| This bug wasn't there in RC2, but it's most definitely there now. All
| we can say is, hopefully this gets patched before SP6.

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
| versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
| on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
| Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
| Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
| recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
| you want snappy performance.
| [...]
| The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
| feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
| ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
| appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...

Your expense = my revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| "Windows is a money making machine for everyone involved" - but
| describing it as really a kind of work for welfare scheme in which
| everyone wins -except the customer to whom it's a cost, and the
| national economy for which it's a productivity sink.

Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista is a step back in usability, researcher claims

Windows Vista Tip: Run as administrator

,----[ Quote ]
| This will make every admin operation prompt you for credentials
| while it is great if you do a lot of remote operations it can
| become tedious if you are performing a lot of local admin operations.

Microsoft: Turn off Vista's UAC to fix problems

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been fairly critical of the new User Access Control (UAC) in
| Windows Vista, as I feel it is too secure to be usable, which will
| probably result in many users and corporations turning off and
| losing out on what could have been Vista?s best feature.
| [...]
| He recommends turning UAC back on after fixing the problem, but
| when users need to do this more than a couple of times to get a
| usable system, they will just leave it turned off.

'Vista's Account Protection: One Click and It's Gone'

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Vista's big security features is 'User Account Protection'
| (or 'User Account Control') which pops up and asks for user
| authentication before software can make any administrative changes to
| the system. But the TweakVista utility can turn off UAP in one click...

The Truth About User Privileges

,----[ Quote ]
| Has the time finally come for the least-privilege user -- you know,
| setting your Windows client machines to run without system
| administrator rights?
| [...]
| Today, some Windows applications just won't run properly on a
| desktop without administrative rights. "It's a dirty little
| secret people sweep under the rug because they're not able to
| do much about the problem. A lot of applications and pieces
| of environments won't work if users aren't given admin rights,"
| says Steve Kleynhans, vice president for Gartner's client
| platforms group. "If you can get applications to function
| with lower rights, in a lot of cases it hampers the user
| experience."

Opinion: 'Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming'

,----[ Quote ]